Turning my storm into someone else's rainbow
Turning my storm into someone else's rainbow
Cart 0

T is for...

Baby Dragon Embryo Transfer Fertility Infertility IVF Progesterone

T is for Transfer. Embryo Transfer Day. 

One of the scariest, most nerve wracking days of this whole process. But with Valium, to relax the uterus. Okay, and maybe me, but just a little. 

Arrival time, 1:45 pm. Go time, 2:30 pm. We planned for traffic and a possible bridge lift...of course there were neither. We pulled into the parking lot at about 12:50 pm. Oops. Oh well, now we can be fidgety in front of the receptionist instead of at home. 

A full bladder is necessary, I am expected to drink 32 oz of clear liquids in the hour leading up to the procedure. Last time my bladder was painfully full, so I decided 20 oz ought to do it this time. 

We check in on the first floor, and head up to the second. I haven't spent much time on this floor. 4 appointments to be exact.

        The first - a consultation with an anesthesiologist near the         

        beginning of the process. Egg retrievals come with anesthesia.

        The second - Egg retrieval. Complete with oral pain meds, an IV,

        anesthesia and a needle stabbed through my cervical wall.

        The third -  Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET) #1. Thawed,

        transferred, failed. Oh, and I had to pee in a bedpan.

        Today - FET #2. Anxiety, hope, and more Valium.

We sit on a couch in the lobby, messing around on our phones while I drink very slowly. We are called back to the recovery room. The nurse visits and gives me a Valium. She leaves and I change into a hospital gown, booties and a cap.

IVF = High Fashion

I drink. We wait. The embryologist comes in. I drink. Dr. Barbieri comes in. I drink some more. A nurse comes in with a tiny ultrasound to check my bladder. She says I don't need to drink anymore. I finish the last sip of my water. Chad changes into his "Bunny Suit" cap and booties.

I am wheeled into the procedure room. Chad is near my head. My feet are moved into stirrups. The table is dropped from beneath me. The speculum is in. It's Go Time.

A catheter is placed into my uterus. The embryologist places a smaller tube inside that and pushes the embryo inside. Back home. They double check that the embryo is no longer in the tube. The okay is given. The catheter is removed. The speculum removed. An Endometrin (progesterone) suppository is pushed in.

I am wheeled back to my room and have to lay still for 15 minutes. Thank God I drank less this time. When time is up, I empty my now very-full bladder, get dressed, and am wheeled out to the car.

We did it. Our second embryo has been transferred. Stick baby Gluestick, stick! We will find out in 9 days if it worked this time.

But first....bedrest today, tomorrow and Thursday, and then a plane ride to California for a wedding, returning on Tuesday. At least I will be kept busy this time. Last time, the 9 days felt like an eternity.


Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published